bob

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

It's been a while.......here's to 2014...Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I've written a blog post.  I have to say that it's been a long year in many ways and I'm glad we are into 2014! Jimmy has struggled with his health this year and when he struggles...we all struggle.  Jimmy's siblings are rock stars as are all sibs of kids in the spectrum.  As my daughter reminded me the other day, my kids "norm" isn't the same as other kids norm.  We all learn to deal with the challenges that are given to us and manage as best we can.
Kelly, Jack, Jimmy, Patrick, Ned
Gracie and Maggie

We've been working with doctors at the U of MN and have just begun a new "cocktail" of meds that will hopefully turned around all the trouble in Jimmy's gut. I am optimistic. 2013 seemed be a year highlighted by highs and lows beginning last April when Jimmy left the house and entered a stranger's home.  Police located him and returned him to us.  The stranger was kind and extraordinarily helpful. Was a terrifying experience for all of us. Hence, we have a "new norm".  It had been years since we had to worry about Jimmy leaving the house without our knowledge. Shortly after his "escape,"  Jimmy signed his name upside down and backwards on an oil pastel. I questioned him why he signed as he did....he responded "sick." Once scoped last summer, "sick" explained a lot.  He was miserable.
"Face" Oil Pastel on Paper 2013

I am hopeful that 2014 will be full of even keel and boring with regard to Jimmy's health. I hope that we can develop another more positive "new norm."






Man of the World - 36"x48"
Acrylic on Canvas 2013
Today, I created a video showing Jimmy painting his largest piece to date titled, Man of the World. This painting was certainly a highlight as his work continues to change. Check it out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQgB5eG2Tc&feature=em-upload_owner

Thank you to all of you that support our family in so many ways.  I am grateful for the host of people that  we call friends.

Am looking forward to 2014.  Cheers to all of you for a marvelous 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment